This section includes the advantages of IB in the curriculum, university admission life skills etc. There have also been queries about the preparedness of DP for competitive exams. IB students are eligible to appear for all competitive exams, they are neither at an advantage or disadvantage for this, as they are IB students. Overall commitment, competence, and dedication will bring in the desired results. Also, there is no specific quota for CBSE students.
IB vs. other boards?
How does studying in IB help students to compete with other boards which focus on writing?
||Where will you find the answer to this?
||Are there are quotas for CBSE students in any college in India?
||Do an open google search.
- Quotas are allocated in some places for state boards, but almost in no place it is for CBSE exclusively: it’s CBSE, ICSE, CIE, and IB which means unlike the assumption CBSE is not at a specific advantage in terms of admissions.
- In general, there are no quotas for CBSE students in colleges/universities across India. There are specific quotas form state boards for certain courses e.g. NEET but this requirement also changes every year or 2 years.
- The quota for IB students is same as IB students in most of the cases.
||Would at least Delhi University (DU) have quotas for CBSE students? Can CBSE students meet the cut-offs of DU easily or have an advantage in getting admissions to top DU college?
||Click here to read more: The Economic Times Article
- 75% to 80% of students who have so far got admission into the prestigious Shri Ram College of Commerce of Delhi University are from Tamil Nadu which means there are no specific quotas for CBSE Boards
- SRCC offers two undergraduate programmes -BCom (H) and Economics -which recorded cutoffs of 98% and 98.25%, respectively.
- According to a percentile calculator for CBSE 2015: only 256 students scored more than 97% that means you have to be in the top 0.025% of students to meet the SRCC Cutoff
- Delhi University does not have a system of rationalization of marks for students coming from state boards which means students who get better marks are at an advantage
- Students from Tamil Nadu board have scored very high marks. The number of students with an aggregate of 99% and above is also the highest on that board.
||What was best of 4 subjects that one of the FS students has obtained in the class of 2017 in Indian percentages? So for top IB students, is it possible for be on the merit list?
||Go through the copies of Indian Transcripts of Indian Students. You can also check the IGCSE & DP results here.
- Our students have got placements in some of the best universities in India and abroad. Â Not only the students going abroad but even those staying in India have got confirmed admissions even before the results.
- Best of 4 subjects from a student transcript:
96% + 93%+96%=97% = 95.5 %
- Yes, it is possible for IB students to be on the merit list of top colleges in India.
||Does the CBSE hold an advantage for JEE or NEET? The more relevant question could be – how many students sit for the JEE Mains & NEET? How many of them get through? How many students get through without coaching?
||Click here to read more: The Times of India Article and Google the other bits.
- 11.86 lakh candidates registered for JEE Main 2017: only 10000+ seats across IITs, with only about 4000 of them in the 6 old IITs.
- Example: If the results for JEE (advanced) 2016 are anything to go by, then six out of top 10 rankers were from Hyderabad. That too from coaching classes.
- A total of 11,38,890 students had appeared for the NEET, out of which 6,11,539 passed the medical entrance examination. This includes medical and paramedical courses. Click here for detailed article.
||What impact does rigorous coaching have on the overall development of the student over 4-6 years?
||Click here to read more: The Daily Brief Article and Google the other bits.
- According to one newspaper report, Kota Police data indicates that 72 students from the city committed suicide between 2011 and 2015 which shows the high-stress levels that also is a crude reality apart from only the glamorous success stories displayed
- The focus is more on rote learning stunting the overall growth and development in crucial years of a student’s life like imagination ability, critical thinking skills, decision-making skills which are equally or far more useful skills to deal with challenges both at personal and professional fronts.
Curricular Advantages of the IB
How does studying MYP & DP help students to be prepared for competitive exams?
||Where will you find the answer to this?
Middle Years Program Specific Queries
||What about MYP Curriculum? Has that been mapped to Indian boards?
||Check Page 3, Summary here.
Check Pages 60-71 in the Detailed Report here.
- The majority of the key principles and themes from the NCERT are included within the IB MYP.
- The NCERT and IB MYP both include similar mathematics topics within the secondary course, with the number and range being broadly the same.
- All of the key themes identified in the NCERT are included within the IB MYP. e.g. Inclusion of abstraction and quantitative reasoning, Exposure to experiences and modes of reasoning, Help students learn to become autonomous learners etc.
- The NCERT and IB MYP have a similar breadth and depth in terms of the number and range of topics studied.
- These points are applicable to all subjects of IB MYP.
- Both the CBSE and the IB hold similar principles to take a holistic approach to development and encourage individuality and the need to appreciate individual differences.
- Several main outcomes are also established by the CBSE and shared by the IB MYP including for learners to develop: language skills, conceptual understanding, technological skills, and understanding of other cultures and opinions.
||Is there evidence that suggests that the MYP is better preparation for the DP?
||Check the conclusions of this report (page 4) here:
- Students with an MYP background were found to outperform students in IB DP compared to others.
- MYP students possess greater analytical and inquiry skills.
- MYP students’ report- and essay-writing skills as beneficial for the DP.
- Students who completed the MYP, the degree of confidence in how students believed they were going to perform in their final subject exam was positively associated with their final performance.
- MYP students generally indicated a higher frequency of engagement with Higher order thinking skills than Non-MYP.
- English writing skills developed during the MYP were indicated in particular as contributing positively to DP studies.
- Research, essay- and report-writing practice had also assisted them in the extended essay and in writing laboratory reports in science courses.
- MYP students are good at group work, discussion, interaction and collaboration with teachers and peers.
Diploma Program Specific Queries
||If IB Maths students gain credits at some of the top colleges (MIT, Stanford, Princeton) in the world, what does that say about the quality of the Maths curriculum of the IB?
||Check pages 8-9 of the Maths Comparison Summary Report here:
- It aligns with National standards of the country.
- Credits are given to the student who has scored 5 or higher or 6 or higher grade point in Mathematics HL.
- Real-life-based curriculum
- Students enjoy the subject.
- Technology and mathematics are integrated into IB.
- Students can build connections with other disciplines.
- Good breadth of study.
- IB Mathematics assessment system has multi-part, free response based assessment system where students construct their responses instead of selecting it.
- By constructing responses students are able to demonstrate their thinking and steps.
- Students are given credit for accurate methods used even if the final answer is incorrect. This helps IB provide a detailed account of student mathematical understanding and accuracy.
||What about DP Curriculum? Has that been mapped to Indian boards?
||Details of the same can be checked on curricle here:
- Yes DP curriculum has been mapped to Indian Boards like CBSE.
||What are the impacts of Diploma program on higher education of a student?
||Click here to read more about research findings.
Asia specific research
- DP students were significantly more likely than their A-level peers to attend a top twenty university in the UK and to receive a first-class honours degree according to a UK based research
- DP alumni were somewhat more likely to engage in further studies after completing university (HESA 2016)
- In Turkey, DP alumni also reported feeling well-prepared for university studies, particularly with regard to the use of English language skills and academic skills, such as writing and managing independent work
- A study by researchers from the University of Western Sydney, Australia revealed apparent gains in the use of an array of critical thinking skills between the two successive years of the DP
- Teachers and administrators in five case study schools in China were confident that the Diploma Programme (DP) provided first-rate university preparation, as a result of the breadth and rigour of the programme
||What documents does the school provide in case we want to shift to other schools or for college admission after 12th?
||Check the list of documents that we provide for both purposes here:
- Report card Nursery to grade 9 and 11.(The report card will be shared with the parents before the last PTC.)
- Report card grade 10 and 12(IGCSE/IBDP mark sheet and certificate will be given after result declaration (after we receive the same from the respective board.)
- Leaving certificate: Nursery to Grade 9 & 11 Leaving certificate will be given on the last working day of the student or on PTC.Grade 10 & 12 â€“ Leaving certificate will be given after IGCSE/IBDP result declaration
- Migration certificate: Migration certificate is issued by the board (IGCSE/IB) after finishing board exam. The certificate is used when you change your board. It states that the board has no objection to student appearing for examination for a different board. Migration certificate will be given after result declaration (after we receive the same from the respective board)
- Predicted grades: Grade 10 Predicted grades will be given on the basis of term 1/mock exam results depending upon the month of their application in another school.Grade 12 Predicted grades will be given as per the policy.
- Bonafide certificate: Parent has to fill â€œOther Certificate Request Form.
- Caste certificate (if required)
- Character certificate
- Eligibility certificate
- No objection certificate
Does CBSE offer advantages in Indian admissions over IB?
Concerns that remain...