Policy for Usage of Chromebook, laptop & internet in school
Why IT devices are needed in school?
Curriculum integration with the use of technology involves the infusion of technology as a tool to enhance the learning in a content area or multidisciplinary setting. Technology enables students to learn in ways not previously possible. Effective integration of technology is achieved when students are able to select technology tools to help them obtain information in a timely manner, analyze and synthesize the information, and present it professionally. We at Fountainhead believe that technology should become an integral part of the classroom. Students will have to use computers for research/projects/collaboration for various subjects and so we expect students to bring their own IT devices to school i.e. Chromebook & laptops
- School defines acceptable use as activities that directly or indirectly support the academics of students.
- Students are blocked from accessing certain websites during school hours such as Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites. Though, Google Plus is acceptable for sharing within the school(Only for SS students).
- Usage of devices will be recommended by the respective teacher for their classrooms. Students may also use these devices at times for research work, report writing, making a presentation during their breaks or free periods (if any) by the permission of the respective teacher.
- Devices may not be used at any time to:
- store or share illicit materials
- harass others
- download or view/listen/play music, games, movies and any material which is not related to academics.
- Students will be provided individual lockers and they should keep their devices in their lockers, when not in use.
- Students are expected to bring their devices fully charged from home.
Devices and Support
- It is mandatory for all students to purchase Chromebook immediately after joining school and carry Chromebook to school regularly. Any student without a Chromebook will be put on detention until they bring one. In case a purchase of Chromebook has been made but delivery is taking time then student is required to produce a proof of purchase e.g. receipt of purchase, email or note from the vendor. After submitting the proof student will be exempted from detention.
- Students will not be allowed to appear for any test (formative, summative assessments, Naviance test etc.) if they do not have their Chromebook or it is not charged. Chromebook will be provided by school only to those students, whose devices are in repair or have ordered for a new device.
- In case of Chromebooks purchased from outside, if the warranty is not accepted by the local service dealer, then the school is not responsible.
- In case of a new purchase, students need to submit the Chromebook to the IT department and get the CMC installed.
- Surprise Chromebook checking will be done in class from time to time and if a Chromebook without CMC is detected, then it will be confiscated for seven working days. If a student removes CMC by mistake, then s/he needs to immediately contact IT team and get it re-activated otherwise the same consequence will be applicable.
- Chromebook without CMC will be treated as student hasn’t brought a Chromebook to school. In this case the student will be put on detention until CMC is purchased.
- CMC needs to be purchased for every new device. If a student decides to purchase a new Chromebook then CMC is to be installed in the new Chromebook.
- If a student uses parent ID, then the Chromebook will be confiscated. Parents will have to come to school, change parent ID password, sign the undertaking and take the Chromebook.
- The Chromebook will be retained in school until parents complete the formalities.
- Parents can access school mail id from their child’s Chromebook but it is essential that they log out after use and also do not share parent id password with your child at any cost.
- IT will not give any support unless and until the students have a CMC and sensor installed on their devices.
- Device must be presented to IT for configuration, before student accesses the network.
- Students are not allowed to bring USB/data card/dongle to access internet within school premises. If students are found possessing any of these in the school premises then it will be immediately confiscated. Internet should be accessed using school wifi connection only.
- Special software(s) required for senior year students e.g. for IGCSE Art & Design and Visual Arts in the DP:
- Students can buy licensed software if they wish to but they must only have legitimate software.
- They can use free tools or paid tools on the cloud, if needed. In this case students can also use the school PCs as that will offer better computing power than their own devices.
- Students have to bear all the costs for such software and the school will not bear these costs.
- Student device may be remotely disconnected from the network if 1) the device is lost, 2) IT detects a data or policy breach, a virus or similar threat to the security of the school data and technology infrastructure.
- In addition, the IT Dept. reserves the right to scan the network to assist in identifying and protecting against exploitable security vulnerabilities (e.g., viruses or worms) in efforts to preserve network integrity. Information gathered in such scans will be used only for the explicit purpose of monitoring network security.
- The school uses a firewall system, which will be protecting student devices and will also prevent students from accessing inappropriate content within as well as outside the school premises.
- Please refer following table to check blocked / unblocked internet categories at home.
- If a student wants to access anything from the blocked categories (website / Youtube) from home; they can do it from any other device available at home but not from their Chromebook. If a blocked category is being accessed from home then parent supervision is recommended.
|Blacklisted Categories||Subcategories||Whitelisted Categories||Subcategories||Blacklisted Categories||Whitelisted categories|
|Aggressive Behavior||Guns||News||Film & Animation||Anime/Animation|
|Intolerance & Hate||Religious||Gaming||Autos & Vehicles|
|Violence||Shopping||Cell Phones And Add-Ons||Horror||Classics|
|Bitcoin||Online Auctions||Short Movies||Drama|
|Controlled Substances||Alcohol Sale||Traveling||Howto & Style|
|Tobacco||News & Politics|
|Entertainment||Audio/Video Downloads||Nonprofits & Activism|
|Celebrity Gossip||People & Blogs|
|Magazines||Pets & Animals|
|Movie Tickets||Science & Technology|
|Movies And Television||Shorts|
|Radio||Travel & Events|
|Time Wasting||Fan Fiction|
- School reserves the right to disconnect devices or disable services without notification.
- Lost or stolen devices must be reported to the Coordinators as soon as possible.
- Student is expected to use his or her devices in an ethical manner at all times and adhere to the school’s acceptable use policy as outlined above.
- Student is personally liable for all costs associated with his/her device.
- Student assumes full liability for risks including damage (partial or full), theft or loss. We advise parents to ensure that devices are covered by insurance to cover the risk of damage, loss or theft.
Expectations and Consequences
- School has a zero-tolerance policy for violation of the above rules.
- Students found using their personal devices in school for games, music, movies unless permission has been given, the following process shall be followed.
|Violation of Policy as stated above||Consequence||Parents’ Involvement||Rationale|
|First Instance||A gentle reminder of the IT usage policy||No intimation||First step will remind the student of the necessity of the policy.|
|Second Instance||Reading / watching a resource on discipline and reflection||Note will be sent to Parents||Second step will let the student understand the importance of discipline.|
|Third Instance||Reading / watching a resource on Integrity and making a presentation of the same||Parents are called to school for a counseling session along with the student||Third step should let the student understand the value of integrity|
|Repeated Instance||One of the above, plus action as decided by the Coordinator and/or HOS||Parents will be informed||For this level of issues, case to case basis action plan is necessary.|
For additional information related to Chromebook usage guidelines, please refer to Parent Undertaking – Chromebook
I Mr./Mrs. ___________________________, parent of ___________________________ have read the Policy for Usage of laptops & internet in school and agree to abide by the same.
Date:________________ Parent’s sign:______________
I ___________________________, Grade________________________ have read the Policy for Usage of laptops & internet in school and agree to abide by the same.
Date:________________ Student’s sign:______________